Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A kaleidoscope for the Big Kids

I used to think that when you had little kids, it was so hard to protect them from the bad occurrences in the world.   But now that I have older kids, I think it was actually easier when they were younger.  

As a parent of young kids, I could always turn off the TV (like I did on 9/11 when we were in Cairo), hide the newspapers, or restrict internet viewing.  Of course, I didn't have any control over what happened at school, what other students said and what adults may have discussed in the hallways, ripe for "overhearing"....but in general, I had some control. 

Now that the kids are older, and (more or less) out of the house, I understand very acutely that I have no control to what they are exposed.  They are free to take in as much information about the world's events as they like, or shield themselves and live with little knowledge.  They have become their own filters of information, which allows them to experience the events of the world, just like "us adults," but with a less experienced frame of reference to process.

Such is the case with the Boston Marathon bombing.    

This terrible tragedy has made me think of many things.   One of which is that as a parent of "young adult children," what's my role in helping them cope?  I'm no longer the "filter of information" or the "shield of protection."  I'm not with them everyday to monitor their stress and responses and to seek appropriate help, if needed.  In a way, I've been replaced....by themselves.

But realistically speaking, isn't that the eventual goal of "launching" children? Having them take over our parental roles and do for themselves, right?  However, we cannot overlook that they still need us.  

Given that, I've concluded that my role is actually the same as it always has been, only with a different shape.  I'm still here to love them--not by restricting, but by being available--and to reassure them, that no matter what is going on in the world, they always have a safe place full of love to "come home."

It's like a twist of a kaleidoscopic.  All the components are the same, but the design is different.  Still beautiful, but different.

1 comment:

  1. Suzanne - This is so true. Our oldest is coming home from her first year at college in about a week. She texted me that she can't wait to come home so I can spoil her. While I'm not sure how much spoiling I can financially handle, I do want to be that place of refuge. The world is going to hand them enough hurt. I want to be the help.

    ReplyDelete