Thursday, April 18, 2013

Keeping the faith

As my friend Teresa posted on her FB page: " There's so much going on in the news these days. It's almost scary in comic book epic proportions...."

One week ago, I was taking a walk among the cherry blossoms, getting my arms sunburned, when I received a phone call from my step mom:  my dad was in the hospital with 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung.  
Among the cherry blossoms, pre-phone call.


Respite for talking
As I sat below this tree, on a hard (and small) piece of wood, listening to my step mom describe my dad's condition of withering away and how she was losing her soul mate, I was overwhelmed with emotion for all that my dad and step mom were going through.  They have a love that has endured many struggles and challenges, along with much joy, for 35 years.  It's a true example of what it means to love someone with all your heart and soul, and when one person slowly slips away, it's heart-breaking.

After we finished the call, I sat for a while with the sun on my back and the blue water in front of me, and I couldn't help but feel blessed for all the time I've had with my dad.  From years of no contact in my adolescence to a strong commitment on both of our parts to re-forge a relationship, I am deeply grateful for the connection we have today.  There's nothing left unsaid between us.  We both know how much we mean to the other person.  That can't always be said about relationships.

So...with some reorganization of my life, and lots of help and encouragement from friends and family, I was on a plane Friday night to see my parents.  

The power of love is a miraculous thing.  Almost from the moment I arrived, my dad perked up, his appetite returned, and he's on the slow road to recovery.  He's out of the hospital, his condition is no longer life-threatening, but his life has changed.  I'm not sure that he realizes it entirely, but it has.

And so here I am, in my own stage of mid-life (and yes, with my birthday tomorrow, I suppose I can say--hopefully--that I'm in the middle of my life)...taking care of young adult children AND my aging parents.  It's a strange part of life to be in.  Definitely some un-chartered territory here.  But applying what I've learned thus far from my life, I'm know I need to be truly present in the moment, keep breathing, and remember that all things happen in their right time.

So with a week almost scary in comic book epic proportions (the Boston Marathon bombing, the fertilizer plant explosion, the Senate not passing the bill on background checks), and now...the death of my colleague and friend Paul, I'm having a hard time seeing the "right time" in all this...but I'm in doing my best to keep the faith.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're hanging in there, Suzanne. Sending you lots of love xo

    ReplyDelete