Monday, November 12, 2012

Big Vegetables for Singles?

I wish I had taken a picture of the big cabbage I bought at the grocery store the other day.  I needed 1/2 C for a recipe, and I walked away with the only cabbage left:  4lbs and built like a bowling ball (come to think of it, that's probably why it was the only cabbage left!).  Then I started taking a look around the store, and ALL the vegetables seemed gi-normous!  Over in the baking potatoes section, well...you could feel a family of 4 with just one potato.  The tomatoes? Same story.  Lettuce anyone?  Let's buy it by the box.  Carrots?  well, we only sell those by the 2lb bag.

And so I'm thinking, this vegetable size is great for a family but what about the single people?  How am I ever going to find portions appropriate for one person?

There's a certain adjustment period when you transition away from buying groceries for a family of 5, to 4 to 3 to 2 and then finally 1.  I remember after the boys left for school, my helper in Manila,  finally had to tell me, "Ma'am, please stop buying all these groceries.  You and Christina simply don't need them."  And, just when I got used to 2 people, now I'm down to 1.

At least the holidays will postpone the adjustment process for awhile.  I mean, you always have to make extra food at the holidays, right? And then the kids will be with me, so I really don't have to think about single portion size until they go back to school, and that's not until 2013.....sounds pretty good to me.

But one thing I do know...we're going to be having cabbage for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment