Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Magical Maya - March Equinox 2015

3:50 am - my alarm sounds (ugh!)--admittedly I hit the snooze...only once! Those of you who know me know that I don't like to get up early on the weekends, and I definitely don't like to set my alarm...but today is a special day:  the March Equinox.  I toss my covers off and get my groove on because it's that time of the year, where day and the night are nearly equal lengths, and magical things happen at Maya ruins!!!

4:20 am - coffee in my Merida coffee cup, featuring the very place I will be going: Dzibichalun's Temple of the Seven Dolls.  Man...it's DARK outside!  Even Oscar's face is telling me it's very early!


5:00 am - I reach the outskirts of the ruins and encounter a line of vehicles waiting to enter the parking lot...shoot!  Am I going to miss the sunrise?  I begin to mentally make plans to get up earlier next year and I wonder briefly if I should turn around and go home. The answer is no!  In the Maya spirit, I decide to preserve.  After all, building these ruins took patience, and I will channel that attitude. 

***While we are waiting, here's your history lesson:  Dzibilchaltun is situated about 10 miles north of Merida, and means "the place where there is writing on the stones."  It was built over hundreds of years, starting in 300 BC. Yes...you read that correctly...300 BC!  and it remained a working community until the time the Spanish arrived in the 1500s (Yep!  that's a long time!).  Archaeologists believe there were as many as 200,000 inhabitants (with both Maya and Spanish residents, interesting, right?) and 8,400 buildings.  Today, the highlights include a large plaza, sacbe trails, the Temple of the Seven Dolls (named because they found seven dolls there... original, right?) and the open chapel, which is an unusual amphitheater.  And of course, there's a wonderful cenote too!

5:45 am - It's twilight, and I've hustled some buns, paid my ticket (62 MXP or $4.20 USD), and am now walking along the sacbe (which is a white path built by the Maya to connect temples, city centers, and plazas).  You are not allowed to enter with backpacks, large purses, chairs, tents, and other large objects.  Luckily I left my tent and chair at home, and only brought my small-ish purse.



I slowly make my way with the crowd, closer to the temple.  The path is very rocky and I'm not exactly sure where I should stand to get the best view.  As I get closer, I see there is a low building in front of the temple, so I move to the right to improve my vantage.

The sun peeks over the back of the temple
6:05 am - I start thinking that if the sun is supposed to come through the window, I better situate myself in front of the window (duh, I know...let's blame it on lack of sleep!). So I saunter over to the middle of the sacbe, trying to avoid people taking photos and video, though inevitably I'm sure I'm in many photos and video!

It's crowded here, but not jam packed tight (which is good because I don't like crowds). Overall, people are very quiet, even the kids.  Everyone is just waiting, for that magical Maya moment. 

6:15 am (ish) And here it comes....

I'm glad I moved to the middle!

The sun rises a bit more.

Now it's smack dab in the middle (along with that guy's head!  I'm just glad he's not taller!) :-)

The whole sky is illuminated and it is a beautiful moment.

Right now, I am saying a prayer of thanks that God made such a wonderful world, with smart Maya and warm sun.

And in brief moment, the sun rises and is nearly out of the window. 
Everybody had their different reactions to the magical moment:  

quiet prayer

hands raising in praise

reflection

smiles


I know it's a million dollar question:  but how did the Maya know how to do this?  It's magical and memorable and wonderful.  I'm so glad that I woke up early to see this. Makes me feel inspired to see the snake shadow at Chichen Itza next year.  

Anyone want to come with me????




No comments:

Post a Comment